The Women to Women in Yarmouth approach to restoring adrenal balance:
Diet – The first and most important step to restore adrenal balance is following our dietary Guidelines:
- What you eat counts! We recommended eating three meals and two snacks every day. Food has a very powerful impact on how you feel all the time, and can especially impact adrenal function
- Reduce carbohydrate intake to 16 grams per meal and 7 grams per snack
- Be sure to include protein at every meal and every snack
- Eat within 30 minutes of waking which helps keep blood sugar stable
- Eat healthy fats
- Avoid gluten
- Eliminate sugar
Stress – Don’t just talk about it, do something about it! Prolonged stress does affect us in many ways. It not only causes worry, but actually makes your body overproduce the stress hormone, cortisol. Cortisol has far reaching affects causing hormonal imbalance, thyroid dysregulation, sleep disruption, immune suppression, blood sugar dysregulation and weight gain to name a few of the many symptoms it can create. Take these steps to minimize stress:
- Take 3 long deep breaths daily.
- Take an “electronic sabbath” for an hour, a day, a weekend – no computers, no cell phones, and nothing work-related. Start with 30 minutes and see how far you can go!
- Turn off electronics (including TV) one hour before bedtime.
- Look at the demands in your life – is there something you can say ‘no’ to?
- Do something just for you at least once per week. Read, journal, take a class or go for a walk!